Myth : Rural areas have a low carbon footprintRural communities often have higher carbon footprints than their urban counterparts as well as significant quality of air issues. This is due to a number of factors: the need to drive longer distances, a lack of energy choice leading to the use of polluting fuels (coal, heating oil, wood), and the agricultural output of greenhouse gases
Renewable Energy - Westmills Wind Farm
Westmills is the first 100% community owned wind energy project in the south of England and provides for the needs of around 2500 homes.
Did you know?
- While the noise produced by some older wind turbines caused problems for local communities, modern turbines have succeeded in engineering the noise out.
- Westmills wind farm is officially popular with its local community according to a recent report by the BBC.
What are we doing?
- A five turbine wind farm has been built within half a mile of the village of Westmills in South Oxfordshire, England.
- The turbines started generating electricity in February of 2009 after a long planning haul patiently negotiated by landowner Adam Twine.
- The wind farm is 100% community owned and provides electricity for around 2500 homes.
What are the results?
- More than 200 local people bought into the wind farm co-operative and now receive a financial return on their investment.
- Neighbours within half a mile of the wind farm say that the wind farm is not a problem. They believe it is a local landmark which brings in business.